Mozilla is taking education pretty seriously these days (see previous posts
). The latest news from David Humphrey is a brand new Bugzilla keyword for tagging tickets: student-project
. This tag will help students find things to work on; as he says, good candidates are:
- not in the critical path of a release
- not so far from a release that they have no chance of getting review or attention from the community.
- things [developers] would do if [they] had time, which probably means [they] care about them happening, know they could be done, etc.
- scoped for academic time frames.
- things [developers] know the community will be willing to help mentor.
Here's hoping other organizations pick this up (and not just during GSoC