Things went pretty well here in Halifax—thanks to the local helpers, and to Justin Ely from STScI for coming up to teach. Next stop, Scarborough!
- Work more efficiently (shell)
- Support staff
- pair computing / working in groups on problems
- Version Control / logging
- Planning workflow methods
- data processing
- passing on good habits
- good teaching tools
- presentation style
- transfer concepts to science
- "practical" code practices were very portable
- too fast/too short
- more on code organization
- more handouts / outline
- svn binary examples / how to create repository
- how do i organize repository?
- wanted more background on everything
- testing too confusing
- incomplete system requirements for examples
- greg works too fast / code disappears on run
- how to put all together?
- public relations/ getting the work out
- introduce everyone and helpers
- Some people were wait-listed and people didn't show up
- use teaching tools more
- contrived examples
Originally posted at Software Carpentry.