Software Carpentry Foundation Interim Board Meeting: Nov 18, 2014
- Neil Chue Hong
- Jenny Bryan
- Tracy Teal
- Damien Irving
- Greg Wilson
- Carole Goble
- Kaitlin Thaney
- Katy Huff
- Adam Stone
- Josh Greenberg
- David Ascher
- All: indicate suitability of slots for future meetings
Next meeting will be Dec 2 at regular time unless other time is found.
GW: make minor changes to governance model and circulate for final approval.
GW: make minor changes to workshop operations and revenue document and circulate for final approval.
GW, DI, TT: revise description of membership model and circulate for final approval.
GW: modify draft budget spreadsheet to synchronize with changes to membership model and circulate.
All: propose revisions to draft budget to indicate organizational needs for further discussion.
All: pass leads for instructor training funding to GW.
KH: draft "role and responsibilities for Board members" document.
NCH: draft "role and responsibilities for Advisory Board members" document with support from KT.
- The Board adopts the by-laws laid out in governance-2.md subject to minor amendments:
- Organizational members get a vote, but do not get to nominate candidates who would not otherwise qualify
Wording that explicitly allows amendment of governance rules on a yearly or two-yearly cycle after the first year.
- The Board adopts the organizational membership model laid out in membership.md subject to agreement on revisions to address the following:
- Partners: providing coordination for taking SWC to a wider community (geographical or domain)
- Affiliate: providing workshops for their local organisation / community - don't want to go outside of this, but still want to be officially recognised part of SCF. Prefer to pay an annual fee to run as many workshops in a year or provide useful in-kind effort.
GW, DI, and TT to rework membership.md in the next 48 hours, based on the general discussion that affiliates get an in-house workshop fee waiver, but in order to be an affiliate they either give us an annual fee or equivalent (or greater) staff time (and we should run our threshold values for time and money by Carole)
- The Board adopts the revenue sharing model laid out in workshops.md starting from November 1, 2014, subject to minor amendments:
- Clarify that this applies to non-member (i.e., non-partner or affiliate) organizations, as different arrangements apply for members
Modify wording for waivers to fees
The Board adopts the draft budget for 2015 laid out in budget.xlsx subject to amendments to bring it into line with the changes to the membership model discussed above.
The SCF accepts the support offered by RStudio.
The Board authorizes the Executive Director to seek $20K in donations to cover the cost of running online instructor training in Jan-Apr 2015.
- Greg can open funding discussions with:
- Sloan Foundation
- Moore Foundation
- Arnold Foundation
- Wellcome Foundation
- Argonne National Laboratory
- There is a proposal in motion already with the Helmsley Trust through MSL
This post originally appeared in the Software Carpentry blog.