Ten Simple Rules for Creating an Effective Lesson
I am putting together a short guide to creating effective lessons, and would be grateful for feedback. If you are comfortable with LaTeX and GitHub, you can read the source at https://github.com/gvwilson/10-lesson and submit issues or pull requests. If you prefer PDFs and email, you can download the current rough draft and send me comments.
- Use learner personas to define your audience.
- Encourage effective learning strategies
- Write summative assessments to set concrete goals.
- Write formative assessments for pacing, design, preparation, and reinforcement.
- Design for peer instruction.
- Use worked examples and concreteness fading.
- Show how to detect, diagnose, and correct common mistakes.
- Motivate and avoid demotivating.
- Make lessons inclusive.
- Design for collaboration with other instructors.